The dogs, a Shih Tzu and a Yorkie, belonged to talk show host Rosemary Cindy Rosan-Jones.
“My dogs were murdered this morning. Stay tuned for the full story, names and ramifications,” Rosan-Jones wrote on her Facebook page on May 8, 2021, alongside photos of two dogs that appeared to be lifeless and with froth on their mouths.
Speaking to Virgin Islands News Online, Rosan-Jones said the dogs, not yet a year old, were suspected to have been given food laced with rat poison.
“I know the dogs were poisoned based on their distress and the property was laced with a substance that appears to be rat poison.”
According to Rosan-Jones, what is equally heart-rending is that her young children saw the pups in their dying moments. “How do you explain such human heartlessness to them?” she asked rhetorically, adding that her children are absolutely devasted.
“My daughter woke up crying. All day she is regretting sending the dogs out to relieve themselves.”
Further, Rosan-Jones is furious that her children’s lives were put in danger, adding that a veterinarian advised her that the children could have been affected by the poison.
According to Rosan-Jones, where she lives is private property and the cruel act could have only been done by other tenants or persons with access to the property. She noted; however, that a particular individual had threatened to harm her dogs.
She said a report was made to police and officers of the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) are looking into the matter.
Rosan-Jones also said she has already started to lobby for stiffer penalties for cruelty to animals. “I’ve spoken to every elected member via WhatsApp, and laws, as it relates to animal cruelty, must carry stiffer penalties.”
Poisoning of animals, particularly dogs, has been a frequent occurrence in the Mount Healthy area.
Rosemary C. Rosan-Jones notified the public of the alleged dog poisoning on wrote on her Facebook page on May 8, 2021.
The two dogs suspected of being poisoned at Mount Healthy on May 8, 2021.
One of the dogs that died due to suspected poisoning at Mount Healthy on May 8, 2021.