The Ministry of Health has now confirmed that three persons in the territory have died from COVID-19.
This third COVID
-related death is a 72-year-old male with underlying medical conditions.
At the time of his death, the deceased was a patient at the Dr D Orlando Smith Hospital in Road Town.
“It is sad to report another death just one day after our second COVID
related death was confirmed. I want to express condolences and sincere sympathy to the family and friends of the deceased,” the Acting territory’s Chief Medical Officer (CMO), Dr Ronald Georges said in a statement on Friday.
“To date, we have 821 active confirmed cases of COVID
-19 and I want the public to understand that it will get worse before it gets better unless we all do what is necessary to arrest community spread,” he added at the time,
“What we are seeing so far are unvaccinated persons with underlying medical conditions being significantly adversely affected. I want to re-iterate the benefits of taking the vaccine
, especially for persons who will be more vulnerable to this disease,” Dr Georges further said.
The first coronavirus
-related death happened in April 2020 and was 52-year-old female patient at the hospital. The second reported death was a 32-year-old male with underlying medical conditions.
In the meantime, the Acting CMO has urged persons, organisations and businesses to adhere to COVID
protocols and guidelines.
These protocols include washing and/or sanitising your hands (for approximately 20 seconds), wearing masks properly, physically distancing (more than three feet) and covering coughs and sneezes regardless of your vaccination status.
“If we are going to flatten this curve and control the spread of COVID
we have to use all of the tools in our arsenal and work together. We should not have to bury our loved ones and friends from COVID
. Now is the time to be all in. We each have our part to play in making BVI safe and vaccination is a very vital key,” he stated.