TIMES.VG

BVI, Caribbeanand International News
TIMES.VG

UPDATE: Non-functioning AC suspected cause of WE fire

Initial investigations have revealed that a gas line of a non-functioning air conditioning unit at a West End, Tortola, home was the main source of a mid-morning fire on Wednesday, August 5, 2020.

According to reports reaching our news centre, the home occupied by five persons is a three bedroom apartment. At the time the fire broke out only two family members were said to be in the home.

It is reported that a loud explosion was heard coming from the outside and upon investigating it was discovered there was a fire on one of the porches.

Damages


An alarm was raised and neighbours assisted with putting out the blaze.

The fire had caused a window to shatter and had damaged a section of a bedroom.

Investigations also revealed there were flammables, including a bottle with gasoline, on the porch close to where the fire started.

An occupant of the house had to be rushed to Dr D. Orlando Smith Hospital for treatment as he was adversely affected by the smoke.

See previous article published August 5, 2020


Apartment damaged by fire @ West End

A section of an apartment in West End, Tortola, was damaged by fire today, Wednesday, August 5, 2020.

It is unclear at this time what was the cause of the fire; however, the porch of the apartment was visibly scorched.

It is also not yet known by our newsroom what were the exact losses or whether the fire entered the building.

The incident took place sometime around 10:15am.

Both Virgin Islands Fire and Rescue Services and the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) responded.

From all accounts, no one was injured.

Chief Fire Officer, Zebalon A. McLean confirmed reports of the fire but said he was unable to provide details as his officers were still on the scene.

Newsletter

Related Articles

TIMES.VG
×